12/14/09

12, 14, 09. Paraphrased "Sympathy"

For school today, I had to do a paraphrase of a poem. At first, I had no clue what to write, but when I thought back to the cavern, and the ages, I just...Knew what I should write.

"I feel for the caged bird, trapped in the mundane. We wish to be free of it all, and out in the sun with the butterflies and the trees. To be high in the sky, not a care in the world; to dive and explore through the unknown.

I feel for the bird, kept in a cage of routine. We long to be free, out in the desert air, hot and dry in the sun; fresh and cool under the stars; wet and damp in a fog. We wish for that day to come.

I feel for that bird, locked for so long between things. We sing for a day to fly again, to fly through the clouds, humming our song. We wish, we long, we sing for our call to fly again."

The poem itself is called "Sympathy" by {I think} Edgar Allen Poe, about a bird caged, and wanting to fly again when spring comes.

When I find that Relto book of mine, I'll...

~D.T.C.